Suspected bandits have kidnapped the first wife of the Baale of Dabu, a community in the Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State.
In another incident, kidnappers are demanding ₦20 million ransom for the release of another woman abducted from a nearby community.
The latest victim, identified as Iya Ayoka, was reportedly abducted in Dabu on Friday night, according to the Kwara South Development Forum (KSDF).
The development comes amid renewed concerns over insecurity in Kwara South, where communities have reported sporadic kidnappings and armed attacks despite recently increased security in the area.
|
|
|
|---|
In a statement on Sunday, Kwara State Development (KSDF) called on the federal and Kwara State governments to urgently secure the release of Ayoka and other victims in captivity.
The statement was signed by KSDF’s secretary, Olasehinde Oluwatoba, on behalf of its convener, Obashola Ridwan.
The group said the victim, who is popularly known as Iya Ayoka, was abducted from Dabu on Friday night and urged the government to take responsibility for securing her release.
“We are not ready to pay a dime. The government needs to bring her back to us,” the group said.
₦20 million ransom
The Forum also raised concerns over the continued captivity of Fasilat Babatunde, a 23-year-old woman abducted from the Wande community in Ifelodun Local Government Area.
Babatunde, according to the group, was kidnapped on 15 July by armed men who invaded her residence.
Her father was reportedly shot during the attack while attempting to resist the abductors.
The attackers subsequently took the woman away and have demanded ₦20 million to free her, the Forum said.
KSDF said the abductors had access to her TikTok account and were using it to publish posts and make calls while communicating with her family about the ransom.
The group said her father sustained a serious gunshot injury and was hospitalised following the attack.
“He was hospitalised and is now battling with his health”, while also figuring out how to secure his daughter, the statement said.
The Forum said it had used various channels to seek government intervention but alleged that its appeals had not received adequate response.
Communities deserted
KSDF said the security situation had also forced some residents to abandon their homes, while several markets and villages had been shut down.
“We have used all our money to pay ransom, so we are tired,” the group said.
It said some residents who had fled their communities were gradually returning, but alleged that the attackers had continued to launch fresh attacks.
The organisation also accused the Ifelodun Local Government authorities of inadequate response to repeated complaints about insecurity.
It said it had contacted the local government chairman several times and received assurances, but claimed that little had changed.
ALSO READ: Bandits kidnap nine from two Kaduna villages
KSDF further alleged that government officials had discouraged residents from publicly reporting attacks and kidnappings.
The allegations had not been independently verified by PREMIUM TIMES.
Army deployment
The latest abduction comes in the wake of additional Nigerian Army formations drafted to Kwara State to strengthen security in the state.
PREMIUM TIMES reported on 11 August that five new army battalions had been approved for Kwara, with troops deployed to Omu-Aran and another team visiting Patigi to identify a location for another battalion.
The development followed growing concerns over kidnapping, banditry, and other criminalities.
At Omu-Aran, the headquarters of Irepodun Local Government Area, the newly deployed battalion has begun operations.
The Commander, 22 Armoured Brigade, Sobi, Nicolas Rume, said the deployment was intended to strengthen security and protect lives and property in the area.
He urged residents to cooperate with the military and provide information that could assist operations against criminal groups.
The fresh abduction in Ifelodun, however, underscores the continuing security challenges confronting communities across Kwara South.
Residents and community groups have repeatedly called for an increased security presence and sustained operations to prevent armed groups from establishing a foothold in rural communities.
KSDF urged Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, the Federal Government and security agencies to intensify efforts to rescue Ayoka, Fasilat, and other captives from the area.
It also called for counterattack measures to protect residents whose livelihoods depend largely on local farming and commerce.
Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

























