The Nigeria Rugby Football Federation has announced a 23-man list for a two-week intensive camping exercise ahead of the pre-qualifiers for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
The two weeks exercise under the supervision of South African born coach, Fabian Juries, will kick off on June 27 at the Mainbowl of the National stadium, Surulere, Lagos.
According to the list made available by the technical department of the federation, only two foreign-based players, Christian Ogar and Okafor ThankGod, both plying their trades in South Africa, were invited to join their home-based colleagues for the camping exercise.
Speaking with journalists in Lagos, Technical Director of the federation, Fasimoye Olatunji, said, “Because of the standard of our league, we have been able to build our players to a standard where we believe that if we nurture them well, they can compete favourably anywhere in the world.
“We expect that all the players that we have called to camp will resume to the national stadium by 4pm today.”
He thanked CMB Building, Investment and Maintenance Company for making the camping exercise possible and also for their unflinching support for the Edward Fom Pam-led NRFF as he called on other corporate bodies to partner with the federation in sponsoring the National teams for their international engagements.
The team, which is expected to depart for Morocco on July 11, will take on Mauritius on July 13 before the all-important clash with the host country, Morocco on the July 16, with all games to be played at the COC stadium.
“I think it’s a great deal for us because we are going to be playing a phase in the 2019 world cup qualifiers in Morocco.”
“Morocco being the host nation, it won’t be an easy task and that is why we are trying to prepare our boys in our own little way.”
“For Morocco, most of their players play in France and they are well funded, hence the need for the Black Stallions to have a two-week camp.”
Meanwhile, Team Doctor, Bukola Bojuwoye, is monitoring the conditions of team captain, Azeez Ladipo, ahead of the tournament following injury he suffered at the finals of the South West league.
Full List of invited players:
- Peter Okere Ambrose Scrumhalf North
- Omoragieva Monday Henry Scrum/ Fly half North
- Ladipo Azeez Olaitan Fly half/ Full back Lagos
- Oche Alfred Sunday Fly half/ Full back North
- Oladele John Siminuoluwa Center Lagos
- Okafor Sopuruchi ThankGod Wing/Center South Africa.
- Ogar Christian Innocent Wing/ Center South Africa
- Jatto Onoru-Oyiza Jude Wing/ Center Lagos
- Afam Ifeanyi Moses Wing Lagos
- Iheme Felix Chidera Full Back North
- Olawale Oladipo Scrum half Lagos
- Ekpo Ekubi Samuel Flank/Wing Lagos
- Samaila Agwan Flank/Wing North
- Aleto Obinna Festus Prop Lagos
- George Anedi Prop Lagos
- Akeju Francis Sunday Prop/Hooker North
- Oduola Sodiq Kofoworola Hooker Lagos
- Isa Hasan Hooker North
- Sani Isaac Cato Lock Lagos
- Kura John Terseer Lock Lagos
- Wilson Obi Izuchukwu Lock North
- Yannick Ufoma Mukoro Eight Lagos
- Ayinla Hafis Ademola Flank/Eight Lagos
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: Call Willie - +2348098788999