Samson Siasia, the Dream Team’s Head Coach, says any of the invited home-based players who fails to report to camp by Monday should not bother coming to camp again.
In a report on the website of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Thursday, Siasia said the national under-23 male football team’s technical crew would work with only available players.
“We will only work with players available to us and those who are willing to play at the Olympics,’’ he said while speaking after the team’s training session at the practice pitch of the Abuja National Stadium on Thursday.
Siasia said he did not want to make the mistake of the past when players who had been pencilled down by the coaching crew were not available when needed.
“I want to work with only the players on ground, and to get them to the shape I want,” he said.
On the issue of other teams in Nigeria’s Group B already announcing plans to include very experienced overaged players, the coach said the technical crew and the players were not worried.
He said they were not scared of any individual player, but would rather bother about the quality of opposition at the Olympics football event.
“Yes, I have read of plans by Sweden to include someone like Zlatan Ibrahimovich as one of their overaged players for the Games.
“It’s good for them. But as far as we are concerned, there is nothing like fear. For us, we are trying to put up a team, and that will determine which players we are going to bring.
“We have played against players of stronger calibre than Zlatan. We have played against Lionel Messi and Di Maria and others.
“We would rather think of the fact that they have a strong team that will play against us, and not individual players.
“I don’t want to jump around and start mentioning names, and later if those players are not available, we would be disappointed.
“So, I have to be sure of what I am doing and when that time comes we will release the names.”
Siasia also spoke on the issue of players like Mikel Obi and Ogenyi Onazi showing interest in playing for Nigeria at the Olympics.
“I guess that is because Mikel missed out the last time, and he wants to make up for it.
“Not only that, the last couple of games he has played for the Super Eagles, he has been playing very well, and if he wants to be part of the team, of course he is welcome.
“But, as I said earlier, we have to look at the positions we really, really need people. We are not going to select players because they play for the Super Eagles or because they are still under the age bracket.
“They have to compete with those players who actually qualified the team for the Olympics.”
Siasia confirmed that he has sent a provisional list of 60 players for the Games.
“If your name is not on that list, then no Olympics for you. That’s why we put as many names as we can, we don’t know the Europe -based players whose clubs would release for the Games.”(NAN)
WATCH: Governor Yahaya Bello's Roadmap to Hope 2023