A former Fifa top official, Chuck Blazer, has admitted that he and others on the executive committee agreed to take bribes in connection with the choice of South Africa as 2010 World Cup hosts.
Mr. Blazer was the second highest official in Fifa’s North and Central American and Caribbean region (Cocacaf) from 1990 to 2011 and also served on Fifa’s executive committee between 1997 and 2013.
According to the BBC, the admissions come in a newly released transcript from a 2013 US hearing in which he pleaded guilty to 10 charges.
The US has launched a wide-ranging criminal case that engulfed Fifa and led President Sepp Blatter to resign last week.
Prosecutors indicted 14 people on charges of bribery, racketeering and money laundering. Four others had already been charged, including Mr. Blazer.
Seven of the 14 were top Fifa officials, who were arrested in Zurich, Switzerland, as they awaited the Fifa congress. Two were vice-presidents of the body.
Meanwhile a former vice-president of Fifa, Jack Warner, who is among those charged, said on Wednesday that he had documents linking Fifa officials to the 2010 election in Trinidad and Tobago.
“I will no longer keep secrets for them who actively seek to destroy the country,” he said in a paid political broadcast on Wednesday evening.
Mr. Warner, who denies charges against him, said he feared for his life, but would reveal everything he knows about the alleged corruption as reported by BBC.