Fencing World Cup in Senegal cancelled over Ebola fears

Fear of the spread of the Ebola Virus Disease has prompted the cancellation of a sabre fencing World Cup event in Dakar, Senegal by the sport’s world governing body – FIE.

The German Fencing Federation DFeB’s director of sports, Sven Ressel, disclosed the cancellation to journalists on Wednesday.

“This absolutely makes sense; we would not have participated taking precautionary measures,” Mr. Ressel said.

Team and individual men’s fencing events were scheduled to take place on October 31 and November 1.

The World Health Organisation, WHO, said the virus had been contained in Senegal.

(dpa/NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.