“Both men were suspended for “glaring anti-Board activities.”
The crisis in Nigerian football deepened on Thursday as the board of the Nigerian Football Federation suspended two of its top members.
The board had earlier removed the embattled former chairman of the federation, Aminu Maigari.
On Thursday, a statement by a board member, Emeka Nyama, said Chris Green, the chairman of the NFF’s technical committee, and Yusuf Ahmed ‘Fresh’ had been suspended from the board.
Mr. Nyama said Mr. Greene was suspended for six months while Mr. Ahmed was suspended for one year.
Both men, believed to be loyalists of Mr. Maigari, were suspended for “glaring anti-Board activities.”
Read the full communiqué released at the end of the board meeting below.
COMMUNIQUE OF MEETING OF THEEXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF NIGERIA FOOTBALL FEDERATION WHICH HELD AT THE NFF SECRETARIAT, ABUJA ON THURSDAY,7TH AUGUST, 2014
The Executive Committee of Nigeria Football Federation met at the NFF Secretariat, Abuja on Thursday, 7th August, 2014 to discuss issues surrounding Nigeria football and resolved as follows:
1) The Committee observed one –minute silence in memory of one-time Member of then NFA Executive Committee, Dr. Ayo Bello, who died in Ilorin, Kwara Stateon Thursday, 31st July, 2014, hailing his tremendous contributions to the game in Kwara State and at national level.
2) The Executive Committee congratulated the Honourable Minister/Chairman, National Sports Commission, Dr. Tammy Danagogo, for Nigeria’s brilliant outing at the recently –concluded 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.
3) The Committee received the report of the Effiong Johnson –led sub-committee set up to review lengthy bans on prominent members of the Nigeria football family: Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi, Chief Rumson Baribote, Barr. Olaleye Adepoju, Mr. Jarrett Tenebe, Mr. Harrison Jalla, Mr. Ahmed Shuaibu-Gara, Mr. Chikelue Iloanusi and Mr. Olajide Fashikun. A decision on the report will be taken at the next Executive Committee meeting.
4) For reasons of glaring anti-Board activities, including facilitating and participating in an unauthorized gathering in Abuja, as well as case of forgery to unilaterally alter the decision of the Executive Committee on tenure of Management Staff, Alh. Yusuf Ahmed ‘Fresh’ was suspended from the Executive Committee and banned from all football –related activities for one (1) year, pending the ratification of the General Assembly.
5) For reasons of glaring anti-Board activities, including facilitating and participating in an unauthorized gathering in Abuja and giving media interviews that tended to put the NFF and Nigeria football in bad light, Barr. Christopher Green was suspended from the Executive Committee and banned from all football –related activities for six (6) months, pending the ratification of the General Assembly. These decisions were in line with Article 34 (m) and Article 37 (1 & 5) of the NFF Statutes.
6) Having admitted presence at the unauthorized gathering and with his explanations and due apologies, the Executive Committee decided to further investigate a similar case of anti-Board activities against another Member, Hon. Suleiman Yahaya-Kwande. All persons concerned were confronted with the accusations and given ample opportunity to defend themselves.
7) Executive Committee endorsed the approval given by the Acting President for payment of monies owed to late Assistant Coach of the U-20 Women National Team, Mr. Chris Nwaehi.
8) Having received a written expression of interest from Mr. Stephen Keshi to continue as Head Coach of Senior National Team, Super Eagles, the Executive Committee mandated the Secretariat to reach out to Mr. Keshi to conclude the details of his contract and signing by next week, so that he can resume work ahead of the fast –approaching 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying series.
IN ATTENDANCE: Chief Mike Umeh (Acting President); Hon. Shehu Adamu (Acting 1st Vice President); High Chief Emeka Inyama (Member); Mrs Dilichukwu Onyedinma (Member); Chief Effiong Johnson (Member); Hon. Suleiman Yahaya-Kwande (Member); Chief Felix Anyansi-Agwu (Member); Barr. Christopher Green (Member); Alh. Suleyman Muazu (Member); Mr. Ayodeji Tinubu (Member); Alh. Yusuf Ahmed ‘Fresh’ (Member); Barr. Musa Amadu (Secretary)
HIGH CHIEF EMEKA INYAMA
CHAIRMAN, COMMUNIQUE DRAFTING COMMITTEE
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...