FIFA Suspension: South Africa seeks to replace Nigeria in U-20 Women World Cup

Nigeria was suspended on July 9 over an alleged interference by government in the running of football in the country.

South Africa has made a bid to replace Nigeria in the U-20 Women World Cup scheduled to hold from Aug. 5 to Aug. 24 in Canada.

This followed FIFA’s suspension of Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, from all the activities of the world football governing body.

South Africa’s delegation to FIFA was led by Danny Jordaan, President of the South African Football Association.

FIFA source said the delegation said their team had been on standby so as not to disrupt the programme.

According to them, there is no sentiment in such a situation.

Nigeria was suspended on July 9 over an alleged interference by government in the running of football in the country.

FIFA claimed that Nigeria violated Article 13 of its statute mandating member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence of third parties.

“The most immediate effect is that Nigeria will not be entitled to participate in the upcoming FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup unless the suspension is lifted by July 15.’’

(NAN)


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.