The Sunday Times claimed Mr. Hayatou was bribed to endorse Qatar’s 2022 World Cup bid.
The President of the African Football Confederation, CAF, Issa Hayatou, has denied allegations of corruption published in the U.K. Sunday Times on June 1.
CAF in a statement on Monday said that bribery claims linking Mr. Hayatou to former Asian Football Confederation President, Bin Hammam, in exchange for votes in Qatar’s 2022 World Cup bid were unfounded.
The Qatar’s World Cup bid win has been marred by allegations of corruption, with Mr. Hammam said to have made $5 million (N811 million) payment in total for votes.
The statement said the Sunday Times’ publication claimed Mr. Hayatou might have received valuable gifts from Mr. Hammam and had been “greatly pampered” during a tour in Doha in December, 2009.
The publication also alleged that Mr. Hammam, during his time in the committee of the FIFA Goal Project, favoured the Cameroonian federation with a project worth $400,000 (N64.8 million) in exchange for votes.
“The CAF president never attended events from invitations of Hammam either in Doha or Kuala Lumpur. Yet the allegation demonstrated cruel ignorance of the functions of FIFA bodies. In FIFA committees, decisions are not taken by presidents of the committees unilaterally but are collective decisions. As current president of the FIFA Development Committee, Hayatou understands how any such committee programmes are planned and decided,” CAF said.
According to the statement, the Sunday Times claimed Mr. Hayatou received 60 World Cup match tickets from Mr. Hammam but there was no mention of which World Cup was being referred to.
The statement added, “As Chairman of the Organising Committee of the 2010 World Cup and vice-president of FIFA, does Hayatou need anybody to offer him match tickets for the World Cup as gifts? Is he not justified and entitled in his positions to receive match tickets? Despite the ridiculous allegations, the CAF president has decided to answer to those accusations through this statement.”
It noted that the CAF president had never received money from Mr. Hammam, the Emir of Qatar or any member of the Qatar 2022 bid committee.
The statement said that Mr. Hayatou was waiting for the evidence from the Sunday Times and reserved the right to take legal action if such allegations were untrue.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...