Nigerian Government adopts “timely” approach for World Cup preparation
The National Sports Commission, NSC, said on Monday that Nigeria’s plan for the Brazil 2014 World Cup had been submitted to the Presidency to ensure the early release of funds.
The Minister of Sports, Bolaji Abdullahi, said in Abuja that timely release of funds would enable Super Eagles to prepare well for the tournament. He noted that a “fire-brigade” approach had characterised previous preparations to the World Cup mundial.
“The Nigeria Football Association, NFA, has submitted their financial plans to the National Sports Commission, NSC, and we have worked on it. We have sent it to the appropriate quarters. We believe that it will receive due attention. So, I have no doubt in my mind that the plans for the World Cup will go very well. We will give all the support that is necessary to the NFA to succeed because if they succeed, everyone is happy,” Mr. Abdullahi said.
On the plans by the South Africa Football Association, SAFA, to lure Stephen Keshi, the Super Eagles handler, to tutor the Bafana Bafana, Mr. Abdullahi said it was a wrong move as Keshi’s contract still existed.
Mr. Abdullahi, however, pointed out that it was the NFA and not the Nigerian government that decides on Keshi’s stay with the national team.
“He is employed by the Niger Football Federation, NFF, and they know the terms of his employment and the Federal Government did not hire Keshi. We are happy with the work that he is doing and the NFF said they were happy with the work he is doing, that is all I know,” Mr. Abdullahi added.