Authorities claim the Argentine avoided paying 4 million Euro tax.
Barcelona forward, Lionel Messi, and his father, Jorge, have been summoned to appear before a Spanish court on September 17 to provide evidence against recent tax fraud allegations, Goal.com is reporting.
The summon follows the decision of the court that there is enough evidence to summon both men after a complaint by prosecutor Raquel Amado was filed with the courthouse in the Gava district of Barcelona last week.
Spanish tax authorities claim the Argentine forward and his father avoided paying the charges due from sales of the 25-year-old’s image rights. Authorities said they avoided paying over €4 million (N840 million) between 2006 and 2009 using companies outside Spain.
The World’s best player (since 2009) had denied the allegations. His legal advisor, Angel Juarez, had said they were ready for any legal battle.
“Neither we nor our client have received any notification from the prosecutor in relation to what has been reported,” Goal.com quotes a statement signed by Juarez.
“As his legal and fiscal council, we will take all the appropriate legal action against the complaint of the prosecutor and we are confident that justice will prevail.”
The forward and his counsel have not reacted to the recent court summons. Under Spanish law, Messi could face a maximum penalty of six years in prison if found guilty.