The Ondo State Government has directed the closure of all schools following the escalation of the EndSARS protests nationwide.
A statement by the Education Commissioner, Femi Agagu, said “Mr Governor has directed that all schools that resumed on Monday 19th October 2020 are closed for the meantime from tomorrow 21st October 2020 because of the engulfing nationwide protest and the need to ensure safety of our students and staff.”
He said the state government regretted the inconveniences but would ensure the schools resumed “as soon as possible.”
The schools only resumed on Monday, after several months of closure following the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic.
A similar action had been taken by the Lagos and Ekiti State Governments as the protests continue to spread like wildfire.
Earlier, the University of Medical Sciences (UNIMED) in Ondo, shut down following fears arising from the increasing EndSARS nationwide protest.
A circular signed by one Ezekiel Adeniran on behalf of the Registrar on Tuesday stated that the Vice-Chancellor, Adesegun Fatusi, had directed the institution’s closure.
“Following the ongoing nationwide protest, the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Adesegun Fatusi on behalf of the University Senate, has directed that the university should be closed with immediate effect,” the circular dated October 20, stated.
“The above information is for the strict compliance of all students as they are requested to vacate the university premises immediately for their safety and protection.”
EndSARs protesters had poured out into the streets of Akure and Ondo City on Tuesday morning barricading major roads and creating difficulty for vehicular and human traffic.
There were reports of an attack on a staff of the institution during the protest, necessitating the action by the institution’s VC.
Meanwhile, the Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu has set up a judicial panel of inquiry on police brutality, urging the protesters to take advantage of the opportunity to submit a memorandum on police violation of their rights. The judicial panel would be inaugurated later on Tuesday.
According to the Commissioner for Information, Donald Ojogo, the panel is headed by retired justice, Salisu Adesola Sidiq (Rtd), and would look into all complaints by members of the public on alleged illegal activities of officers of Nigeria Police Force in Ondo State.
READ ALSO: #EndSARS protesters occupy Ibadan roads
Its terms of reference are “to receive and investigate complaints of police brutality or related extrajudicial killings by the police in Ondo State, to evaluate evidence and conclude the validity of complaints, and to recommend compensation and other remedial measures, and carry out any other assignment that may be deemed necessary pursuant to this purpose.”
The panel has six months to conclude the assignment and submit a report.
Other members of the panel include Banke Oloba (Representative of Civil Society Groups); Ifeanyi Odili (Representative of Civil Society Group); retired Commissioner of Police, Samuel Adetuyi; Leo Ologune (Representatives of State Attorney General); Sunday Oyewole (National Human Rights Commission) Oluyemi Fasipe (Youth Representative) and Lanre Amuda (Secretary).
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...