FUOYE Killings: Police release detained student leader

FUOYE students protest
FUOYE students protest

The Ekiti State police command has released a student, Idris Salau, whom it detained after he went to submit a letter of protest.

The letter was to protest the killing two students of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE) by police officers, in a recent protest that turned bloody.

PREMIUM TIMES reported how Mr Salau was detained after he submitted a letter of protest to the state command.

He had earlier submitted a similar letter to the State Security Services unit in the state.

PREMIUM TIMES understands that Mr Salau is the National Public Relations Officer of Federation of Ekiti State Students’ Union (FESSU).

According to a release by his union, Mr Salau “had successfully delivered a letter to the ‘Department of State Security’ earlier, before he was detained around 2 p.m. today while dispatching hard copies of the union’s press release to the Nigeria Police Force, Ekiti State Command”.

The General Secretary of FESSU, Ebenezer Idowu, who confirmed the arrest in a telephone interview, demanded for the immediate release of the PRO then.


Mr Idowu has now confirmed that Mr Salau has been released by the police.

“He was released at 9.20 a.m. without any bail condition. Thanks, and God bless PREMIUM TIMES,” he said.

Again, all attempts to get the police spokesperson, Caleb Okechukwu, to react were unsuccessful.

He initially responded to the reporter’s call but hung up immediately he was told the call was from PREMIUM TIMES.

READ ALSO: #JusticeForFUOYE: Nigerians call for identification, prosecution of officers who shot students

He did not respond to subsequent text messages sent to his phone.


PREMIUM TIMES reported how police officers reportedly opened fire on students of the school who were protesting epileptic power supply.

One of the students died on the spot while the other died later from wounds sustained.

The protest had turned violent when the police officers attached to the wife of the Governor of Ekiti State, Erelu Fayemi, who had visited the area for a function, reportedly opened fire on the protesters.

Mrs Fayemi has denied culpability in the incident and expressed her grief over the tragedy.

The school has since been shut down.


PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.