Xenophobic Attack: Lagos Shoprite outlets remain shut

Ikeja shoprite remains closed
Ikeja shoprite remains closed

Several Shoprite outlets in Lagos remained shut Wednesday following a spate of attacks targeted at the South African store across the city on Tuesday.

Protesters had trooped to several Shoprite outlets across Lagos as a reprisal to the string of xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other foreign nationals in South Africa,

At least one person was shot in Lagos as protests erupted at the Lekki area.

The Lagos State Government condemned the attacks on South African businesses in the state.

There are, at least, seven Shoprite outlets in Lagos.

On Wednesday, there was a heavy police presence at Adeniran Ogunsanya in Surulere as several shops remained under lock and key following the looting by hoodlums of a South African clothing retailer, PEP, a day earlier.

One of the police officers told PREMIUM TIMES that the area had been calm since morning.

A security officer at the First Bank branch in the area told PREMIUM TIMES that the bank is not open due to the crisis in the neighbourhood on Tuesday.

“We’ve not been working since morning,” he said.

At the Ikeja City Mall, the Shoprite outlet there remained closed.

Outside the mall, there were about five police patrol vans and a police bus with at least 20 armed officers.

Two of four of the entrances to the compound were also sealed off leaving only the vehicular entry and exit to be used by pedestrians.

Security at the entrance to the mall building was also beefed up as shoppers were searched before they were allowed access. Access to the Shoprite corner in the mall was restricted as armed police officers stationed there stopped people from coming near the closed shop.

A shop attendant in the mall said protesters were unable to enter the building on Tuesday and the arrival of the police forced them to move to Government House.

“They were just chanting, that’s all. I think the Shoprite people got information about Lekki and decided to shutdown. Nothing major happened here yesterday,” he said.

Dangote adbanner 728x90_2 (1)

Another attendant said there was no violent incident at the mall.

“They didn’t really do anything here yesterday,” he said.

“They just came, protested, police talked to them and they moved down to secretariat. They didn’t enter the mall, just the compound and it wasn’t violent at all.”


PT Mag Campaign AD

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application