Fleeing Ekiti monarch returns six months after abdicating throne

The traditional ruler of Ilogbo Ekiti, Edward Ajayi, who abandoned the throne six months ago after he was chased away by angry subjects over certain offences, has returned.

The News Agency of Nigeria, (NAN) reports that the oba’s return was facilitated by the state government which intervened in his plight to enable him to reclaim the throne.

The Special Assistant to the Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Odunayo Ogunmola, said in a statement in Ado Ekiti on Sunday that the deputy governor, Bisi Egbeyemi, mediated in the six-month-old crisis on behalf of Governor Kayode Fayemi.

He said the government has fully resolved the crisis rocking Ilogbo Ekiti, in Ido/Osi Local Government Area, where the indigenes were locked in a dispute with their monarch.

He said the deputy governor called on the stakeholders in the town to allow peace to reign and bury the hatchet.

According to him, Mr Egbeyemi made the appeal shortly after the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to end the crisis, at the Conference Hall of the Office of the Deputy Governor in Ado Ekiti.

He said the resolution of the conflict followed the signing of the MoU by parties to the crisis and critical stakeholders in the town.

“The monarch had been prevented from entering the town and occupying the palace for the past six months

“With the signing of the peace accord, the Deputy Governor said Oba Ajayi is now free to come back to the throne and resume his royal duties after six months in exile expressing confidence that the resolution of the crisis will usher in (a) new era of development

“Egbeyemi, who noted that it was not easy for the traditional ruler to leave his throne for six months, urged all parties to fulfil the terms of the peace accord and work together to lift their community to greater heights”, the statement said.

Advertisement

nlng Campaign AD

It added that Governor Fayemi was interested in peace and development of all communities in Ekiti State and would not want to be distracted via one crisis or the other in his desire to better the lots of the people.

Quoting the deputy governor, the statement said, “Our government is a government of peace; we don’t want crisis or breakdown of law and order in any part of the state. Kabiyesi, you can now go back to your domain anytime you wish.

“Let us all agree that the crisis is over because we have all signed the MoU and that you will all allow peace to reign and everybody will go about his business.”

Meanwhile, Mr Ajayi has commended the state government for the intervention and successful resolution of the crisis.

The monarch who hailed the deputy governor for bringing his wealth of experience to bear in reconciling the various interest groups in Ilogbo expressed joy that peace had finally returned.

NAN reports that apart from Mr Ajayi, other signatories to the peace deal included the Alayetoro of Ayetoro Ekiti representing Ido/Osi LG traditional rulers, Olufisan Ajayi.
It included the Coordinating Director, Ido/Osi Local Government, Akinola Adebayo; and a prominent Ilogbo indigene and former Ekiti State House of Assembly Deputy Speaker, Adetunji Orisalade.

Others were a chieftain of Egbe Ilosiwaju Ilogbo, Gabriel Fasuyi, and officials of the Ministry of Justice and Bureau of Chieftaincy Affairs.

NAN recalls that Mr Ajayi was evicted from the palace and chased away from the town on October 21, 2018, during a violent protest which claimed one life and property worth millions of Naira.

The monarch was accused by his subjects of alleged highhandedness, autocratic tendencies and withholding of monthly allowances of his chiefs.

He was also accused of failing to control his children whom they alleged were involved in cultism and bringing suspected cultists to their town to unleash terror.

(NAN)

Advertisement

PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: This space is available for a Text_Ad.. Call Willie on +2347088095401 for more information


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.