The Lagos State Government Wednesday said it had concluded arrangement to commence the prosecution of suspects linked to the collapse of a five-storey building in Lekki, last March.
In a statement issued by Adeniji Kazeem, the state’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, the government said it had concluded its legal advice on the incident and is now ready to prosecute a total of nine suspects deemed culpable in the collapse of the building.
“Following the conclusion of investigation by the Nigerian Police Force and technical reports of relevant Experts, my Office has concluded its Legal Advice and decided to prosecute the suspects for failure to obtain Planning Permit contrary to the provisions of the Urban and Regional Planning and Development Law, Ch. CU2 and Involuntary Manslaughter contrary to the provisions of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, Ch. C17, Laws of Lagos State, 2015 respectively,” Mr. Kazeem said.
The Attorney General said a criminal charge had already been filed before the High Court of Lagos State against the suspects, while they would be arraigned on the alleged offence “any moment from now.”
At least 30 people died after the building, which exceeded its government-approved floors, collapsed in the early hours of March 8.
The Lagos State government said the owners of the building, Messrs. Lekki Worldwide Estate Ltd and Get Too Rich Investment Limited, went behind its regulatory agency to add two floors to the approved three-storey building.
Three senior officers of the state’s Building Control agency were sacked in the aftermath of the incident.
An Ebute-Metta Chief Magistrate Court also ordered the remand of the Managing Director of Lekki Gardens, Richard Nyong, for 30 days to enable police investigate the building collapse.
However, Magistrate Folashade Botoku granted bail to Mr. Nyong, 34, before the expiration of the 30 day period.
She was subsequently transferred out of the Chief Magistrate Court to a Customary Court.
While reiterating the commitment of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode administration to protecting the lives and property of citizens, Mr. Kazeem assured the general public that government would leave no stone unturned to ensure that criminal negligence and any form of crime is duly brought to book.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...