A 20-year-old apprentice, Rasaq Animasaun, is in coma at a hospital after suffering from electric shock.
Mr. Animasaun unintentionally stepped on a fallen and abandoned electric pole in Ifo town of Ogun State on Sunday.
He lost consciousness after the electric shock, a witness said.
He was subsequently rushed to the General Hospital in Ifo.
Residents of the area blamed the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, IBEDC, for not attending to the fallen pole.
“This so-called electricity company are aware of the danger associated with such development yet they feign ignorance,” Adedayo Kolawole, a resident, said. ” If they want to distribute bills and collect money, nobody will ever remind them.”
Another resident, Shehu Aina, said an official complaint had been made to the electricity company without any response.
Mr. Aina suggested that the residents sue the company.
The spokesperson for the IBEDC could not be reached for this report.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...