Three persons have been confirmed dead in a fire at the popular Mile 12 market in Ketu, Lagos.
The inferno affected shops and offices and burnt papers of the National Union of Road Transport Workers were seen at the scene.
According to a witness who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the fire started in the wee hours of Friday morning and was caused by petrol.
The witness, who spoke in pidgin English, said the inferno occurred after one of the PMS stored in polythene bags burst.
“Na people wey dey carry fuel for inside nylon cause am,” he said. “Dem no know say person dey cook for back so the fuel fall for ground and the whole place catch fire.”
Several market women and men were heard also linking the incident to petrol stored in polythene sack.
However, the Area Commander of the Surulere Fire service station, Adeoye Olayiwola, said the fire was put out around 8:20 am Friday morning but could not state the cause of the fire.
“There are three casualties and they have been taken to the mortuary,” he told PREMIUM TIMES. “Investigations will begin soon by the right authority. We are only ensuring that the fire doesn’t ignite again.”
Efforts to speak with the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Kenneth Nwosu, and the general manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, were unsuccessful as calls placed to their telephone lines went unanswered.
Responders at the scene included two fire trucks belonging to the Lagos State Fire Service, a water tank belonging to Julius Berger, and an old fire truck belonging to the Federal Fire Service.
Meanwhile, trading continued in the market as people were seen buying and selling while also feeling sorry about the inferno.