UNILAG management to punish students behind hostel fire

The authorities of the University of Lagos, UNILAG, on Monday warned students of the institution to abide by the rules and regulations guiding the entire community or face sanctions.

The Assistant Registrar, Information, King Robert Emukpoeruo, gave the warning in an interview in Lagos.

He said the warning became imperative following the fire which engulfed Room 8012 of the Madam Tinubu female hall of residence in the institution on Sunday.

Mr. Emukpoeruo said that the incident was largely due to negligence on the part of students who attempted to use appliances that were not allowed in the rooms.

“Unilag has a holistic law guiding all students’ activities on campus, halls of residence inclusive.

“The safety of lives and properties here, aside conducive teaching and learning environment, is key to the management of this institution.

“We expect the rules and regulations to be adhered to strictly, in order to maintain the standard that has been set and established by the institution.

“That is why the Vice-Chancellor of the institution, before now, had taken time to constitute a Students Disciplinary Committee to pay particular attention and always look into students’ disciplinary issues.

“It may interest you to know that this committee has since commenced work.

“With this current issue on ground, I can assure you that no stone will be left unturned to get to the bottom of this and get those culpable severely punished,” he said.

Mr. Emukpoeruo confirmed that the Vice-Chancellor, Rahamon Bello, directed the immediate reconstruction of the affected area.

“The Vice-Chancellor has visited the scene with the Director of Works and has equally directed that work should commence immediately after all the necessary reports have been made,” he said.

The Facility Manager, Titi Akintunde, said she regrets the incident describing it as “very unfortunate.’’

Mr. Akintunde said that random checks were being carried out from time to time within the hall to ensure that occupants did not go contrary to the rules and regulations.

“We have security men and porters that go about randomly to check and we apprehend some of them, such as those using hotplates to cook, and summon management meeting to look into it.

“Feelers on ground have shown that what happened was also as a result of the use of hotplate by one of the students.

“It is not a case of electrical fault because we are mindful of its consequences in such a setting and therefore ensure that all our electrical connections are well maintained.

“If you look in there, you will see the charred remains of the beds, personal belongings as well as two hotplates,” she said.

Mr. Akintunde restated that no life was lost during the incident but three female students who attempted to jump from the first floor in the midst of the pandemonium, had fractures.

The hall of residence accommodates some 700 female students.


Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility


Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.