Fire kills octogenarian, grandchild in Lagos

Federal Fire Service
Federal Fire Service

The Lagos State Fire Service confirmed the incident.

Fire caused by a cooking stove has burnt to death an 82-year-old man, Samuel Adeola, and his 12-year-old granddaughter, Mariam, in their residence near Lagos.

The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos on Tuesday.

Mr. Fadipe said that the incident occurred on Monday when Mariam was cooking with the stove on the passageway of the victims’ residence at No. 18, Bailey Street, Agbado Crossing, a border of Ogun with Lagos. He said the stove exploded at about 2:52 p.m., when Mariam attempted to put more kerosene into it.

The director said that the girl ran to her grandfather in one of the rooms as the fire spread to all parts of the four-room bungalow.

“Other people in the building said they did not know that the grandfather was inside the room while the fire was on. They claimed they saw him going out to read newspapers some hours before the incident.

Okowa Campaign AD

“At the time our men got to the scene, they were already burnt to death. We kick against people cooking on the passageway of a house. It is dangerous. It is also dangerous to refuel a generator or stove while it is on.

“People should cook in the kitchen and keep away from home inflammable substances,” Mr. Fadipe said.

The Public Relations Officer, Ogun State Police Command, Muyiwa Adejobi, confirmed the incident, adding that the corpses had been deposited at a public mortuary.

Mr. Adejobi advised members of the public to avoid anything that could cause fire outbreak.

(NAN)

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

 

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: New Discovery! Click Here To See A Miracle Device That Can Cure DIABETES, BLOOD PRESSURE, STROKE, ARTHRITIS, PAINS, OBESITY And 50 Other CHRONIC DISEASES Without Drugs Or Herbs.. Click Here Now To See It


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.