Police arrest four suspects in Ondo over attack on FRSC office

FRSC officials

Onlookers had attacked the FRSC office following an accident on Friday.

The Ondo State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, said the police in Ondo State have arrested four persons over last Friday’s mob attack on personnel and premises of their office at Akure-Owo Road.

The State FRSC Sector Commander, Mary Wakawa, disclosed this while addressing reporters in Akure.

The attack on the office of the FRSC office was sequel to an auto accident that occurred near the office which led to the injury of the occupants of the vehicle and which the people around reportedly misconstrued to have been caused by the road marshals in front of the command headquarters.

She absolved men of the command from the accident saying it occurred when the driver of the vehicle was trying to play smart, probably, in order to avoid being apprehended by the marshals on duty.

Mrs. Wakawa said although the command was on the regular bi-monthly mobile court during which any motorists caught to have broken traffic rules are tried and reprimanded, the driver of the vehicles was not stopped by her officials.

“The driver ran into the middle of the road after buying fuel and tried to beat oncoming trailer in order to shield himself from being apprehended by men of the command. The occupants of the vehicle were seven instead of the maximum five. The overloading may have made the driver (decide) to rush into the road but since the vehicle is like any other machine, it failed the driver causing the trailer that was behind the vehicle to hit it.

“The impact was so much that the vehicle turned around facing the direction from where it was coming. When our men got to the scene to rescue the occupants, the mob attacked them while the victims were crying for help,” she said.

She added that, contrary to some reports, nobody died in the accident. She said the injured were taken to two hospitals, Jojein Hospital and the State Specialist Hospital, Akure, where they are currently being treated.

“As I am talking to you, nobody died in the accident. The victims were interviewed by the some journalists on Friday. All the noise made on the accident was mere blackmail,” she said.


PT Mag Campaign AD

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application