Two days ago, two persons were electrocuted at a construction site.
The Ogun State Government has warned residents to desist from scavenging on construction sites in areas where road expansion projects are going on.
The government’s caution is coming barely 48 hours after two persons were electrocuted at a construction site located in front of government house in Abeokuta, the state capital.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Yusuph Olaniyonu, gave the warning in a statement on Tuesday.
He said it had become necessary to warn residents so as to avert the danger posed by naked electric wires and half demolished structures which may have become weak as a result of the rains.
Mr. Olaniyonu said that in other to prevent unfortunate incidents of electrocution and injury resulting from collapse of structures which had been partly demolished, the people had to be warned to stop rummaging through debris at construction sites.
“There is also the need to warn our people to always be careful while driving or walking around the various construction sites because of the usual danger that may be encountered in such places”, the government stated.
The Information Commissioner thanked the people for their support and co-operation since the commencement of the urban renewal programme in the state and urged them to continue to demonstrate understanding and support for government’s plans to rebuild the state’s infrastructure.
Meanwhile, the state government is currently expanding roads in Abeokuta, Sagamu, Ijebu-Ode, Ago-Iwoye and Ota.