Mimiko opens defence at Ondo Election Petition Tribunal on Tuesday

Olusegun Mimiko
Olusegun Mimiko

Olusegun Mimiko is set to defend his victory in the October 2012 gubernatorial election.

The Ondo State Governor, Olusegun Mimiko, will on Tuesday defend his victory in the October 2012 gubernatorial election at the election tribunal sitting in Akure, the state capital.

The petitioners, the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, and its Candidate, Rotimi Akeredolu; as well as the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Olusola Oke; are challenging the victory of Mr. Mimiko and his party, the Labour Party.

Mr. Akeredolu is challenging the result of the election in 13 local government areas, while Mr. Oke is contesting in15 local government areas.

The duo had appeared before the three-member tribunal headed by Justice A. Kaka’n to explain why the election should be nullified based of alleged irregularities

Mr. Akeredolu, who appeared last as one of the 80 witnesses he presented at the Tribunal, said the poll was marred by massive irregularities with reference to exhibit P52A,P1H12,P16G12 including that of voters register, which according to him was characterized by fraudulent act.

The former President, Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, said there were cases of double registration where voters appeared twice with different VIN number.

The ACN Candidate who was led in evidence by his counsel, Oluwole Aina, said his claims before the tribunal was as contained in his petition.

Mr. Akeredolu, who was later cross examined by the counsels to Mr. Mimiko, the Labour Party, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, Wole Olanipekun, said many names were injected into the voters register; and called on the tribunal to cancel the election because of various illegalities.

Also, the PDP Candidate, Mr. Oke, who called 33 witnesses, urged the tribunal to declare him winner of the election because according to him, majority of votes recorded for Mr. Mimiko were illegal.

In the alternative, the former PDP National Legal Adviser said the tribunal could order a fresh election if the judges are convinced that strange names were unlawfully injected into the 2012 voter’s register.

Mr. Mimiko, who is the first respondent in the petition, will call 50 witnesses to prove that he actually won the last governorship election.

The tribunal had earlier struck out the case of the PDP; Congress for Progressive Change, CPC; Accord Party; and People for Democratic Change, PDC; on technical grounds.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.