The Ondo governor said the report which alleged so in a daily was untrue.
The Ondo State Governor, Olusegun Mimiko, has said that he has no plans to mobilise resources against the re-election of two South-West governors that belong to the Action Congress of Nigeria.
A National Newspaper reported that Mr. Mimiko, a member of the Labour Party, vowed to mobilise resources, both human and financial, to challenge the re-election of Governors Rauf Aregbesola of Osun and Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti.
Both men will be seeking re-election in 2014 and campaigned against Mr. Mimiko for the candidate of their party, Rotimi Akeredolu, in the October governorship election in Ondo.
Mr. Mimiko has, however, described the report as false, and a figment of the writer’s imagination,
In the governor’s reaction stated by the Ondo State Commissioner for Information, Kayode Akinmade, in a statement issued in Akure, the state capital, on Saturday, he said the report was not true.
Mr. Akinmade declared that the Governor is not on a conquering mission.
“Allegations that Governor Mimiko is mobilising to take over Ekiti and Osun States is the figment of the story originator’s imagination,” Mr. Akinmade said. “Governor Mimiko just won an election, and the plan of the government is to consolidate on the gains of the election by providing the expected good governance for the people because the government already has a record of brilliant performance and can’t afford to be distracted.”
The statement stated further that politics of ‘conquering’ is alien to Ondo State, adding that this was confirmed through the outcome of the October 20 election which was “adjudged the best election so far in the country since 1999.”
“The government has a duty to the people of Ondo State, and that will remain its focus because the people of the state have voted for the best and they will not get anything less than the best,” he said.
The best, the statement said, can only be achieved with the government’s refusal to be distracted, as intended, with reports such as “the unfounded report of conquering Osun and Ekiti states which is baseless and totally untrue.”