The end-of-camping parade for the 2015 Batch B stream two National Youth Service Corp, (NYSC) members deployed to Ebonyi State was Wednesday put off following a bomb scare at the camp ground.
The parade was scheduled for the Old McGregor College orientation camp Afikpo, Afikpo North Local Government Area of the state
But there was then panic and tension at the camp ground when security operatives raised the alarm of suspected explosive device in the orientation camp which prompted corps members and officials of the scheme to scamper for safety.
The security operative attached to the camp ground combed the hostels of the corp members looking for a possible place the device was hidden.
A corps member said apprehension heightened in camp when some unknown faces were seen coming into the camp ground during the camp fire night.
Following reports by some corps members that unknown faces were seen entering Aso Rock Hostel, the security operatives had to searched thoroughly for the device in the hostels.
As panic spread at the camp ground, the leadership of the scheme hurriedly distributed posting letters to corps members to proceed to their places of primary assignments.
Police spokesperson for the state, George Okafor, who confirmed the development, said the camp ground was safe as no bomb device was found by the anti-bomb squad deployed to the orientation camp.
He disclosed that a cable was found which he said was being screened by the anti-bomb squad.
He added that security had been beefed up in camp ahead of the posting of another batch of corp members to the state.
The Chairman of NYSC governing board, who is also the Ebonyi State Commissioner for Sports, Charles Akpuenika, said he got a call from a security agency in the state alerting him on the bomb scare.
He said he immediately alerted Governor Dave Umahi who ordered that the terminal parade be called off.
Mr. Akpuenika said, “I got a call from a security agency in the state that briefed me on what was happening at the camp ground and the panic the bomb scare created among corps members”.
“I immediately placed a call to the Governor, he ordered that the terminal parade be called off. The governor is so interested in the safety of every Ebonyi indigene and visitors to the state. He would not desire that anybody be hurt and that was why it was called off.
“Actually, from the information I got from the security agency, a cable allegedly usually used to construct bomb was discovered by the security agency at the camp ground.
“The cable has been taken by the anti-bomb squad and I believe that they would be in a better position to inform us if the cable was actually intended to be used by some miscreants to construct bomb in the area.
“Ebonyi is a safe ground for visitors, there has never been any fear of terror attack in the state and we don’t hope to have one. People should feel free to come to the state and there security is assured.”