The suspects confessed to being members of MASSOB, the police says.
Following the recent attack by unknown gunmen at the Enugu State Government House, the police in the state have beefed up security in the area to avert future occurrence.
Briefing journalists in Enugu on Monday, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Abubakar Mohammed, said more police officers had been posted to the area. He declined to state the number of newly deployed officers.
He said the four suspects arrested during the attack had confessed to being members of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra, MASSOB.
Mr. Mohammed said all the suspects were from Anambra.
He displayed two banners and assorted flags belonging to the outlawed Biafra as well as machetes as some of the items recovered from the suspects.
He said the suspects had named their sponsors but declined to expose them as investigations were ongoing, adding that the suspects would be charged to court soon.
“The suspects said they were sent to mount the MASSOB flags at the Government House.
“Earlier report that one of the suspects was dead is false. He was taken to the hospital for treatment because he was shot.
“The suspects said their intention was to take over the Government House. We have the names of their sponsors but we are still investigating to track them down,” he said.
The armed men, numbering around 50, invaded the Government House on Saturdayat about 4.30 a.m.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...