Mr. Keyamo wrote a petition to the APC leadership.
A Lagos lawyer, Festus Keyamo, has taken a swipe at the All Progressives Congress leaders who organised a primary election to choose the party’s candidate for the APC Delta Central Senatorial Bye-Election.
Mr. Keyamo, an aspirant for the APC ticket, described the primary as “nothing but a sham that is packaged, rigged and concocted to favour my opponent, Olorogun O’tega Emerhor.”
In a letter to leaders of the party, he listed several reasons for his conclusion and pulled out of the primary election.
Read Mr. Keyamp’s letter below
APC Delta Central Senatorial Bye-Election
Attn: Senator Osita Izunaso,
DECISION NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE APC DELTA CENTRAL SENATORIAL PRIMARIES FOR THE 2013 SENATORIAL BYE-ELECTION
My name is Olorogun Festus Keyamo. I am an aspirant cleared by the All Progressives Congress to contest the primaries for the 2013 Senatorial bye-election in Delta State.
I have taken a painful but necessary decision not to participate in the primaries to be organized later today at Ughelli because the whole exercise is nothing but a sham that is packaged, rigged and concocted to favour my opponent, Olorogun O’tega Emerhor. The following are my reasons:
(1) That the exercise was preceded on the 24th of September, 2013 by registration of limited number of members of APC in Delta State since there were no registered members before now, being a newly registered party.
(2) That in the said exercise, it was agreed with members of your committee that the slots for the registration cards for the new members would be distributed evenly between former members of the merging parties in each local government area. The said defunct parties are ACN, ANPP, CPC and a faction of DPP.
(3) That, however, when the materials arrived the venues, thugs loyal to my opponent, hijacked the materials, beat up the officials and took the materials to unknown places (outside the approved venues) to fill up the registers and cards. The L.G.As where no formal registration took place at all are Sapele, Ethiope West, Ughelli North (which is the local government area of my opponent) and Ughelli South. Partial registration occurred in Ethiope East before the thugs of my opponent disrupted the scene and carted away materials.
(4) That I have met formally with some members of the committee and asked for the outright cancellation of those L.G.Aswhere no registration took place at all and for us to proceed with the primaries with the L.G.As where registration took place.
(5) That I was however just told this morning by the Committee that full registers of registered members have surfaced in L.G.As like Sapele, Ughelli North, Ughelli South and Ethiope East with strange names.
(6) That I and my supporters do not know how and when these registers were filed up and membership cards issued. This is because my supporters stayed at the registration venues in these L.G.As till late in the night before they went home.
(7) That in the circumstance it becomes a worry to me and my supporters to go into a contest where they were not given an equal chance to register to vote for someone of their choice.
(8) That it is disappointing that the Committee members of the APC connived openly with my opponent to allow such a brazen rape of free choice and democracy to take place.
(9) Other open acts of bias on the part of the APC Committee are:
(i) The venues for registration were not known to me and my supporters, despite repeated demands, up till about 11:00am on the day of the registration whereas, my opponents supporters had filled the venues as early as 6:00am.
(ii) The venue for the sham primaries was not made known to me, despite repeated demands until about 12:00noon today, whereas my opponent’s supporters had thronged the venue as early as 6:00am today.
(10) In the circumstances, I boldly say that any result that comes out of today’s exercise will be a colossal fraud and waste of time. Please, count me out.
This is a notice that no vote should be cast or counted in my favour in the today staged-managed process.
A copy of this letter is being sent to the Interim National Committee of the APC.
OLOROGUN FESTUS KEYAMO
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...