The funds allocated to Anambra State for flood victims gathers dust.
About five months after flood waters inundated some communities in Anambra State, the money allocated by Nigeria’s government to help with relief remains unutilised leaving a lot of the victims stranded.
The Chairman, Anambra Flood Disaster Relief Coordinating Committee, Oseloka Obaze, said on Monday in a press statement that the N509 million flood relief funds remains intact.
Mr. Obaze, who is also the Secretary to the State Government, SSG, said the fund, which includes donations from the Federal Government and other donors, has not been spent because of logistical issues.
He said that disbursement of the funds would commence only after the Board of Trustees reviews the target sectors’ needs. He, however, did not give a specific timeline or deadline that the members of the Board of Trustees are working with, saying the members will complete a multi-sectoral plan of implementation “as soon as possible.”
Mr. Obaze said that so far, N128 million has been spent on relief items adding that this fund was solely on the account of the state government.
He said the state is looking forward to further disbursement of funds from the Presidential Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation to enable it support those affected.
He assured that all funds would be properly accounted for as credible people were appointed as members of the committee.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...