JTF denies bribery allegation in Port Harcourt

Joint Task Force

Oil thieves don’t bribe us, the JTF says.

The Joint Task Force, JTF, operating in the Niger Delta on Monday described as false and baseless, allegations that its personnel were bribed by oil thieves in the area.

Some members of the public had alleged that some personnel of the Task Force had been compromised by oil thieves to regain freedom and carry on with their escapades.

The Commander 2 Brigade of the Army and Sector 2 of the JTF, Tukur Buratai, denied the allegation in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Mr. Buratai denied the allegation on the sidelines of a 12-kilometre road race organised in the state by the Nigerian Army. He said soldiers of the JTF had always maintained discipline without any form of prejudice and corrupt practices in carrying out their duty of eliminating illegal bunkering in the region.

“I’m hearing this allegation for the first time; I don’t believe men of the JTF will do that (collect bribes). Notwithstanding, since you brought it to my notice, I will investigate; but I don’t believe our Soldiers will do that.

“Anyone (illegal bunkers) that is arrested and brought to my notice, nobody goes free. We take them straight to the court through the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence,” he said.

Mr. Buratai called on the public to report anyone involved in oil theft and illegal refining of crude oil to security agencies in the state.

NAN


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:ADVERTISE HERE! CALL 07088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.