Protest as suspected herdsmen kill two farmers in Edo

Community in Edo state Mount Road block as they protest suspected gunmen killing two persons.
Community in Edo state mount road block as they protest suspected gunmen killing two persons.

Travellers were on Tuesday stranded along the Akure-Benin Road, following the protest by residents of Owan community in Ovia North East Local Government Area. The residents protested the shooting of two community members by suspected herdsmen.

The gunmen were said to have attacked the farmers in their farms and opened fire on them, killing them on the spot.

One of the bodies sighted by this reporter had food in his mouth with his lifeless body laid on a wooden bench as the protesters barricaded the expressway.

One of the protesters, who identified himself as Edeki, said the farmer was killed by the herdsmen without any provocation, as he was eating in his farm when he was shot dead.

He said in expressing their anger, the protesters pulled logs of wood and benches across the road, barring travellers from continuing their journey.

The barricade could not be removed by a team of soldiers who first arrived at the scene. They attempted to forcefully clear the way, but the unarmed youth prevented them.

Even with gunshots from the soldiers, the protesters stood their ground and resisted any attempt to clear the way.

While some passengers had to cross to the other side to continue their journeys with other vehicles, some drivers had to turn back to seek alternative routes.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that only three weeks ago, Owan community suffered a similar fate as suspected herders killed a farmer and a police officer.

The police officer, along with other members of the police force, had been invited to help retrieve the body of the deceased farmer, when the gunmen opened fire and killed the police inspector in the process.

After that incident, travellers were victims of the anger of the residents of the community who also closed the expressway to vent their displeasure.

Although the police were informed about the development on Tuesday, they however, did not show up. Residents feared that the police might have refused to come because of what happened three weeks ago.

Efforts to get the Police Public Relations Officer, Chidi Nwabuzor, to comment on the development did not yield.

His phone rang out several times, but he did not pick his calls.

Coronavirus factsheet


PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.