The fire was reportedly started by an electric spark.
No fewer than 300 shops were destroyed following outbreak of fire at Katako Market, Sabongari area of Zaria in Kaduna State on Sunday.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the fire, which lasted for about five hours, started at about 3.30 a.m. and was put out at about 8.30 a.m.
Abubakar Bagobiri, Chairman, Sabongari Marketers’ Association, described the incident as pathetic.
Mr. Bagobiri said security personnel on guard at the market told him that it was caused by an electric spark.
“I was told that the fire was caused by electric spark which subsequently engulfed the market’’, he said.
Mr. Bagobiri appealed to the Kaduna State Government, State Emergency Management Agency and National Emergency Management Agency to come to the aid of the affected traders.
“Goods worth millions of naira were lost in this ugly incident, hence the need for government, non-governmental organisations and individuals to come to the aid of the affected traders’’, he said.
While praying for God’s protection against recurrence, the chairman appealed to the affected shop owners to accept it as the will of God and look unto Him for assistance.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: Call Willie - +2348098788999