UPDATED: Two killed, 37 injured in Nasarawa gas explosion

Nasarawa State
Nasarawa State

A gas explosion in Lafia, Nasarawa State, has left at least two persons dead and dozens of others injured.

The Nasarawa State Government on Monday expressed shock and sadness over the explosion.

The Deputy Governor, Silas Agara, said during on-the-spot assessment visit to the scene of the incident that the government would take the necessary steps to unravel the cause of the accident..

Mr Agara, accompanied by the Commissioner of Police, Yahaya Bello, and Chairman, Lafia Local Government, Aminu Muazu, described the explosion which occurred at Monaco Gas plant within the premises of Natson Filling station on Jos Road, Lafia, as most unfortunate.

He expressed his condolences and sympathy to the victims on behalf of Governor Umaru Al-Makur and assured the people of government’s readiness to respond to the emergency and ensure a thorough investigation of the incident.

Mr Agara applauded the security and emergency response teams for their quick intervention and advised the public to stay away from the scene to allow relevant agencies carry out their investigation into the matter.

He and his entourage later visited the 37 victims with various degrees of injuries at the Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital, Lafia.

On the casualty figure, Faustina Alegbe, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Sector Commander in the State, told NAN that two persons died while 37 people were injured.

“So far, 37 people are receiving treatment in the hospital but two have been confirmed dead by the doctors.

“Tomorrow, we will go back to the hospital to do an update. But I can tell you that I was in the hospital myself to do a physical count and as at now, 37 are receiving treatment with two dead,” she said.

President Muhammadu Buhari later expressed his condolence at the accident.

Mr Buhari “offered his condolences to the government and people of Nasarawa State over the tragic fire incident which started from a petrol station, killing several persons and destroying vehicles and several shops in Lafiya earlier today,” his spokesperson, Garba Shehu, said in a statement Monday evening.

“The president, who was briefed about the scale of destruction of life and property
expressed grave concern over the high toll in the fire incident. He consoled the bereaved families and appealed to the state and federal authorities and well meaning persons in the state to ensure that the best medical assistance was provided to the injured persons.

“I wish that this kind of tragedy never happens to any part of the country,” said the president.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.