The Military Special Task Force in Plateau, `Operation Safe Haven’, said it had deployed more troops to Rim-Dyem village in Riyom Local Government Area of the state, following Tuesday’s night attack that claimed eleven lives.
The spokesperson of the task force, Adamu Umar, said this while addressing journalists on Wednesday in Jos.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that gunmen ambushed local marketers and killed eleven persons and severely injured four others in the village.
According to Mr. Umar, the entire area had been dominated by armed personnel to forestall further breakdown of law and order.
“When we got wind of the attack, our men moved in immediately; unfortunately, before they arrived the scene the perpetrators had fled.
“But we have mobilised and deployed more personnel who are presently carrying out both foot and vehicular patrols.
“We are also carrying out aerial patrol using helicopters with a view to bringing down the perpetrators,” he said.
The spokesperson said no arrest had been made, but assured that the task force would do all within its powers to track and arrest those behind the heinous act.
He appealed to the people of the town not to take the law into their hands but report any suspicious movements to the security agencies.
He also charged them to go about their normal activities without fear of any intimidation.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...