NSCDC announces arrest of Boko Haram bomb materials supplier

Boko Haram has killed some Nigerian citizens
Boko Haram used to illustrate the story.

Operatives of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Borno on Wednesday announced the arrest of one Aliyu Muhammed, a 24-year-old suspected Boko Haram Improvised Explosive Device (IED) materials supplier in Maiduguri.

The Commandant of the corps, Ibrahim Abdullahi, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Maiduguri.

Mr Abdullahi said that the suspect was nabbed by men of the command on April 25, following intelligence report while he was on his way to supply bomb materials for Boko Haram terrorists.

He said that preliminary investigation conducted by the command revealed that the suspect supplied mobile phones battery, wrist watches as well as laptop computers used for setting off IEDs designed to inflict massive casualties.

“The suspect who pretends to be a tricycle operator in the town has executed many missions for the insurgents.

“He also operates several bank accounts, where he receives funds for Boko Haram in the last six months.

“He usually receives large sums of money from the Republic of Chad, through a third party account number to avoid being detected.

“We have so far tracked dozens of his transactions especially at commercial money transfer centres within Maiduguri,” he said.

The NSCDC commandant said Mr Mohammed and his colleagues have played different roles in masterminding various attacks, in worship centres, market places in Maiduguri and environs.

Mr Abdullahi reiterated the commitment of the command toward complimenting efforts of the army, police and other sister agencies in the counter-terrorism campaign in the Northeast.

Advertisement

RIPAN Campaign AD

“The command had within the past two years arrest more than 25 Boko Haram insurgents, comprising of female suicide bombers, commanders and collaborators in Maiduguri.

“The command had, through the dispute resolution department encouraged more than 40 terrorists to lay down their arms and accepted meaningful rehabilitation and reintegration through the Operation Safe Corridor window opportunity provided by the government,” he said.

He added that the suspect would be handed over to the 7 Division Garrison of the army for further interrogation and profiling.

(NAN)

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: This space is available for a Text_Ad.. Call Willie on +2347088095401 for more information


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.