UPDATED: APC kicks as court sacks Taraba governorship candidate

APC logo used to illustrate the story.
APC logo used to illustrate the story.

A Jalingo Division of the Federal High Court has disqualified the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Taraba State, Sani Danladi.

According to a report on Channels Television, Mr Danladi was disqualified on Wednesday from participating in Saturday’s election due to improper declaration of age.

In the ruling, the judge, S.D. Pam, said Mr Danladi provided false information about his age.

The first defendamt (Mr Danladi) is “hereby disqualified from contesting election as the candidate of the second defendant (APC)” in the March 9 governorship election in Taraba State, the judge ruled.

In a swift reaction, the APC in the state said the judgment was meant to demoralise its supporters ahead of the polls.

Responding through a statement by its state publicity secretary, Aaron Artimas, the party described the judgment as “mischievous and comical.”

It said the case was filed by “some unknown persons parading as concerned citizens, who raised the issue of a purported improper declaration of age by Sani Danladi.

“The so-called concerned citizens claimed that there were discrepancies in the declaration of age as contained in Sani Danladi’s SSCE and his statutory declaration of age in the year 2000.

“However, we wish our teeming supporters to note that this issue had been taken to court in the year 2007 and was subsequently dismissed by the Appeal Court. It should also be noted that all judgments passed by the Appeal Court supersede those of the lower courts in the whole country.

“There also legal process involved in the substitution of candidates by INEC and therefore a court judgment does not automatically translate to disqualification to contest an election.

Advertisement

nlng Campaign AD

“By this explanation, we are calling on all law-abiding citizens and APC members throughout the state to remain calm and discountenance or disregard any issue or rumour regarding the eligibility of His Excellency to contest Saturday’s Gubernatorial Elections.

“Legal steps have already commenced to set aside this mischievous judgment which we view as another desperate attempt by agents of the PDP and the state government to escape defeat on Saturday.

“All APC members are hereby called upon to continue with their campaigns and preparations towards the elections. All our agents are also hereby directed to ensure that they dutifully accompany all sensitive materials and to ensure their distributions to all designated voting areas,” Mr Artimas said.

Advertisement

PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: This space is available for a Text_Ad.. Call Willie on +2347088095401 for more information


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.