Few hours after an official of the Adamawa State Government said the state had earmarked N200 million for prayers against Boko Haram, the government has denied approving such money.
Abdurahman Jimeta, the Chief of Staff to the Adamawa governor, disclosed the amount in a media chat aired on the Adamawa State Television on Thursday, which was monitored by the News Agency of Nigeria in Yola.
Mr. Jimeta explained that the money was sourced from the state and local governments joint account.
“We have earmarked N200 million for prayers to seek for Allah’s intervention in tackling the Boko Haram menace and other insecurity challenges threatening the stability of the state,” Mr. Jimeta was quoted as saying by the News Agency of Nigeria.
He said part of that money, which would be spent as security votes, would go into assisting local vigilance teams and security operatives.
However, on Friday, the Adamawa State Government denied the statement.
The Chief Press Secretary to the state governor, Yohanna Mathias, stated the new claim in a statement on Friday evening.
“One of the challenges inherited by the Government on assumption of office is the menace of Boko Haram insurgency,” Mr. Mathias said.
“And a serious and responsive Government the government deemed it fit to tackle it head on by evolving new security measures and sustaining the existing ones aimed at curbing the menace thereby enhancing security of lives and properties,” he added.
“The correct position of the matter is that the government had evolved a community mobilization process intended to enhance peace and security in the state.
“This process includes the use of vigilantes, youth vanguards, religious leaders and security agencies domiciled within communities.
“This process had been ongoing for a long time. Community leaders had been mobilizing people to perform special prayers by both Christians and Muslims,” Mr. Mathias noted.