A 16-year-old student has died of burns in Bauchi State while attempting to put on an electricity generator, the family and witnesses said.
Mubarak Gidado, a SS3 student of FOMWAN Model Secondary School, Bauchi, died two days after he was rushed to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching.
His father, Aliyu Gidado, said Mubarak was trying to switch on the generator when the machine suddenly went up in flames.
“It was Wednesday (April 22) around 7 p.m. after evening prayer when my son went to start the generator,” he narrated. “The fuel just ignited fire and the flames consumed him as he struggled. He came out of the area but his body was burnt from head to toe.”
Mr. Gidado said all efforts to save Mubarak failed.
“The doctors gave him a 50-50 chance but his conditioned worsened and he was placed on life support machine but his heart failed and he gave up,” Mr. Gidado said.
The bereaved father expressed shock because Mubarak had been putting on the generator for years.
“As a father you can’t quantify the grief of losing a child. It is God that gives and takes and we cannot question him.
“I thank God for Mubarak’s life. He was an obedient child. He wanted to study Computer Science but now he is no more.
“He was a good child. The whole Islamic School students and teachers came to my house to sympathize with me on learning of his death. May his soul rest in peace,” he said.
Lawal Yusuf, Head of Daar Communications office, Bauchi and neighbours to the Gidado at the Federal Low-cost Housing Bauchi, said Mubarak’s death was most painful because the boy was focused in life.
“It’s sad, tragic. He was brilliant and always came first or second in his class. Even at his hospital bed he was reminding his father that he had Mathematics paper to write the next day.”
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...