Journalist slumps, dies at work in Bauchi

Journalist interviewing someone

A journalist in Bauchi, Ibrahim Aliyu, on Thursday slumped and died while working on a story at the Government House, Bauchi.

The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reported that Mr. Aliyu, a former Government House Correspondent for the Bauchi State Television, BATV, was writing his report on the Armed Forces Remembrance Day, when he suddenly collapsed.
The journalists died after he was rushed to the hospital.

Kabiru Ilela, his Cameraman, who witnessed the incident, told NAN that the late reporter had worked throughout the day and was compiling his report at about 5.30pm, when he suddenly started “jerking”.

“He had his meal by his side as he was writing the report, when his mood suddenly changed and he started jerking, collapsing in the process.

“We raised alarm and sought for help to convey him to the hospital. On reaching the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, a doctor confirmed that he had died,” Mr. Ilela said.

Aged 37, the deceased left behind two wives, six children, an aged mother and four brothers.

The deceased was buried in accordance with Islamic injunctions on Friday in Bauchi.

His funeral prayer was attended by the Bauchi State Commissioner for Health, Sani Malami; Managing Director of BATV, Ibrahim Abubakar, journalists, media executives, family members and friends.

Commenting on his demise, the BATV managing director told NAN that he had lost a dedicated staff.

“Late Aliyu was an ‘all-rounder’. He reports stories, edits, handles camera and produces programmes. The vacuum created by his death will be difficult to fill,” he said.

The Chairman of the Bauchi state Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Dahiru Mohammed, himself a staff of BATV, narrated how he noticed the talent in the late Mr. Aliyu right from the time the deceased was an attaché with the station.

“Aliyu was a hard-working and dedicated staff. I noticed the zeal in him right from the time he was an attaché.

“After his period with us, he went to NTA Bauchi briefly, after which he was engaged permanently here.

“I was his Producer and his works were among the very few that never gave me any headache,” he said.


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required


Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.