Despite ‘ceasefire’ breach, Chibok parents hopeful girls will return Wednesday

The missing Chibok schoolgirls held captive by Boko Haram

A father of two of the Chibok schoolgirls has expressed disappointment that the more than 200 girls seized by Boko Haram more than six months ago have failed to return despite a purported ceasefire agreed between the government and the sect.

Mark Enoch told PREMIUM TIMES, Wednesday, he was disappointed that the girls were not released or as the government claimed last week in a widely celebrated ceasefire claim.

Mr. Enoch, a Reverend of Church of the Brethren has his two daughters: Monica Enoch, 20, and Sarah Samuel, 18, in the terrorist’s den.

Monica and Sarah are among the over 200 schoolgirls kidnaped from their hostel in government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State on April 14.

“We are expecting they will return; I don’t even know anything about it again. They have been saying something will be done either as from Monday or Tuesday and today is Wednesday. We are waiting,” Mr. Enoch said.

He said all the parents in Chibok are also disappointed that the girls had not returned on Tuesday.

He however said they remain hopeful that they by Wednesday evening the girl should all be back home.

“We are waiting for the president to hear from him, we the parents we cannot say a word because we don’t know anything,” he said.

Mr. Enoch said that all the Chibok parents have held unto are what they hear on the radio and the promises made to them by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The Federal Government had on Friday announced that it had reached a ceasefire deal with Boko Haram.

The ceasefire was expected to be characterised by a cessation of hostilities and the release of the over 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by the Boko Haram group in Borno.

However, despite the claim, both sides have continued to fight each other.

Also speaking to PREMIUM TIMES on Tuesday, the Publicity Director, Chibok community, Manasseh Allen, said everyone in Chibok is expectant of the girls’ return.

“Since yesterday (Monday), the parents of these girls had their second meeting yesterday around 12 p.m. They are so anxious, their hearts are getting warmed once more,” Mr. Allen said.

Mr. Allen said the parents, on their own have been discussing modalities and what to expect from the girls’ return, a homecoming and every other thing,” he said.

He said with all the expectations, however, some of the parents are also sceptical.

“We still have some certain degree of sceptics among them, some of them are saying you see; something like this happened before, they said the girls were going to come out and nothing happened especially before Salah,” he said.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie - +2347088095401


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.