Mr. Dabin was accused of financial misconduct.
The State Executive Committee, SEC, of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Plateau State on Monday suspended its chairman, Haruna Dabin, on allegations of financial misconduct and inability to regularly convene meetings.
The PDP (SEC) meeting was held at the Presidential Lodge and was attended by the deputy governor, Ignatius Longjan.
The executives in a communique announcing the suspension of the chairman, directed Mr. Dabin’s deputy, Raymond Dabo, to take over in an acting capacity.
“The State Executive Committees (SEC) is constrained to suspend the chairman pending full investigations by the party,” the communiqué read.
There has been conflict between the party chairman and his secretary, Pam Saleh, since Mr. Dabin, in May, declared intention to contest the 2015 governorship election in the state.
The party asked Mr. Dabin to resign his chairmanship position if he wanted to contest.
Meanwhile, Mr. Dabin said the SEC meeting held at the Presidential Lodge was illegal, therefore any decision taken by the group would amount to an illegality.
“An illegal meeting can only produce illegal results,” he said.
Following the dispute among the PDP officials, the Nigerian Police in Plateau on Monday sealed off the party’s state secretariat.
Here is the full text of the SEC communiqué announcing Mr. Dabin’s suspension:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE EXTRA ORDINARY MEETING OF THE STATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY, PLATEAU STATE CHAPTER ON MONDAY, 16TH JUNE, 2014.
WHEREAS MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS OF THE STATE WORKING COMMITTEE OF THE PARTY HAVING BEEN DIS-SATISFIED WITH THE WAY AND MANNER THE PARTY IN THE STATE HAS BEEN RUN AS EVIDENCED BY THE FAILURE AND OR REFUSAL OF THE PARTY LEADERSHIP TO CALL MEETINGS OF THE DIFFERENT ORGANS OF THE PARTY AS AND WHEN DUE AND HAVE REQUESTED THAT AN EXTRA ORDINARY MEETING OF THE STATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE BE HELD;
THE STATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MET TODAY MONDAY, 16TH JUNE, 2014 AND HAVING EXHAUSTIVELY EXAMINED THE STATE OF AFFAIRS OF THE PARTY RESOLVED AS FOLLOWS:
1. THAT THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY REMAINS THE PARTY OF THE GREAT PEOPLE OF PLATEAU STATE AND THEREFORE ITS DOORS ARE WIDE OPEN FOR MEMBERSHIP BY ALL AND SUNDRY. ALL WARDS OF THE PARTY IN THE STATE ARE DIRECTED TO ENSURE THAT THE NUMEROUS PEOPLE WISHING TO JOIN THE PARTY ARE ENCOURAGED TO DO SO IN LINE WITH THE CONSTITUTION OF THE PARTY.
2. THAT THE PARTY FROWNS AT THE TENDENCY OF SOME MEMEBERS TO RUSH TO COURT WITHOUT EXHAUSTING THE MECHANISMS PROVIDED FOR IN THE PARTY’S CONSTITUTION FOR SETTLING INTERNAL PARTY DISPUTES. MEMBERS ARE WARNED THAT HENCEFORTH THE PARTY WILL NOT HESITATE TO METE OUT DISCIPLINARY MEASURES AGAIST SUCH VIOLATIONS OF THE PARTY’S CONSTITUTION.
3. THE PARTY WILL DO ITS BEST TO ENSURE THAT ALL THOSE ASPIRING FOR POLITICAL OFFICE IN THE 2015 ELCTIONS ARE PROVIDED A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD, CONSEQUENTLY ALL THOSE HOLDING POSITIONS IN THE PARTY THAT WILL LIKELY COMPROMISE THE IMPARTIALITY OF THE ELECTORAL PROCESS LEADING TO THE ELECTIONS ARE ENJOINED TO RESIGN FROM THEIR POSTIONS IN THE INTEREST OF FAIR PLAY, NATURAL JUSTICE AND GOOD CONSCIENCE.
4. THAT IN VIEW OF THE DELIBERATE REFUSAL BY THE PARTY CHAIRMAN, DR. HARUNA DABIN, mni, TO CALL MEETINGS OF THE VARIUOS ORGANS OF THE PARTY FOR AN UNDULY LONG PERIOD OF TIME,AND THE CONSEQUENT FAILURE TO RENDER FINANCIAL ACCOUNTS TO THE PARTY; AND GIVEN THE CONVINCING INDICATIONS THAT THE SAID CHAIRMAN INSTIGATED SOME MEMBERS OF THE PARTY TO INSTITUTE A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE PARTY THE STATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE IS CONSTRAINED TO SUSPEND THE CHAIRMAN PENDING FULL INVESTIGATIONS BY THE PARTY’S DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE WITHIN TWO WEEKS FROM 16/06/2014.
5. THE DEPUTY CHAIRMAN OF THE PARTY, HON. RAYMOND DABO HAS BEEN MANDATED TO TAKE OVER THE AFFAIRS OF THE PARTY AS ACTING STATE CHAIRMAN PENDING OUTCOME OF THE DISCIPLINARY PROCESSES MENTIONED IN (4) ABOVE.
BARRISTER CALEB MUTFWANG,
CHAIRMAN, MANGU LGA,
REPRESENTING ELECTED CHAIRMEN
HON. NOEL MAIYAKI
CHAIRMAN, PDP, QUAN PAN
REPRESENTING LGA PARTY CHAIRMEN
HON. GYANG BADUNG
REPRESEENTING STATE PARTY EXCO
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...