The Tarok ethnic group say accusations against them are false.
The leadership of the Ngwan Ishi O’Tarok, [NIO] of Wase Local Government Area in Plateau State, Lohbut Jangle, has disputed allegations that the Tarok ethnic group are responsible for the persistence attacks in Wase.
This was made known in a statement by the Tarok who also accused the media of under reporting the violence in the locality.
The Tarok community exonerated its members from the attacks.
The Ngwan Ishi O’Tarok, the traditional union in charge of welfare and other activities of Tarok speaking people, on Thursday disputed media reports that the persistent attacks occurring in Wase and Langtang North\ South were being perpetrated by Tarok youth.
It said that while it was previously silent on the issue, it has decided to inform the world of the evil being perpetrated against the Tarok indigenes in Wase and its environs.
The union said the Tarok people in Wase were being treated as outcasts.
In the statement, the union said several attacks had been carried out against the Tarok residents in the said local government adding that many have been injured and killed with lots of property destroyed in spite of security agents deployed to safeguard the area.
“On the 27th of July 2013, suspected Hausa/Fulanis invaded Kasa Village killed 3 persons, another was left critically injured, on the same day, the suspects had attacked Zamchang village killed a woman, injured three persons, rustled 15 cows belonging to a family, burnt 20
Compounds and motorcycles without security apprehending any of them,” the union said.
The union said that hours after a committee setup by the state government to investigate the violence and renewed killings at Southern Plateau state concluded its tour on July 30, with an appeal for a ceasefire among warring factions, some Hausa/Fulanis invaded Zamtep, Gaje and Tunga villages, killed persons including women and children, with many property set ablaze, rendering most families homeless.
According to the Ngwan Ishi O’Tarok, most Tarok indigenes of Wase who live in villages surrounding the local government have been displaced from their traditional abodes following persistent attacks on the villages.
Survivors of the recent attack in Wase Local Government had on many occasions accused Tarok youth of invading the village. They also disputed the casualty figure as announced by security agents.
A witness who gave his name as Awal said that he saw 46 corpses as opposed to the five announced. He blamed the attack on Tarok youth.
But the Ngwan Ishi O’Tarok, Wase chapter, denied the claims and also berated the security agents charged with the responsibility of maintaining law and order in the area for not living up to expectations, hence the continuous attacks on the communities.
It said the Tarok were peace loving and accommodating people.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...