The resident fears the attackers may return.
A resident of a Plateau village attacked last week has expressed fear that the absence of security officials makes the village susceptible to another attack by gunmen.
Bolgan, Karkashi, and Magama villages of Langtang South Local Government Areas of Plateau State were attacked by yet to be identified gunmen on Wednesday, last week, leading to death of about 33 people, although the Special Task Force, STF, in Plateau later said 28 residents were killed.
The police and the STF said, after the incident, that they deployed officials to the area to ensure protection of lives and property and avoid a repeat of the attack.
The STF, a joint military and para-military force, maintaining law and order in Plateau, had on Friday announced that they killed 20 of the suspected attackers who invaded the villages.
“STF personnel went to the scene to bring the situation under control but the gunmen engaged them in a gun duel that lasted several hours. In the process, about 20 of the assailants were killed while some who sustained gunshot were arrested,” The STF spokesperson, Salisu Mustapha, told journalists on Friday.
Mr. Mustapha said more troops has been deployed to the affected areas, as he urged “all law-abiding citizens” to go about their normal duties without fear of further attacks.
However, a resident of Karkashi Village, Nanchan Kargwak, told PREMIUM TIMES on Monday that the report of more deployment of security operatives to the area was false. He claimed the attackers were Fulani herdsmen.
“It’s a week today since we were attacked by the Fulani and several of our people were killed; no security official has been posted to our village to protect us. We are left at the mercy of assailants since we are not equipped with weapons,” Mr. Kargwak said on the telephone on Monday.
Mr. Kargwak said the security officials, who visited the scene after the attack, spent less than an hour in the locality and left with the promise that a team from the STF would be deployed to the area. He said the re-enforcements are yet to arrive.
The resident added that since the attack, most residents of the villages have vacated their homes and relocated to Sabongida, a district headquarters which, according to him, is relatively secure due to the presence of security operatives there.
The Plateau Police, through its spokesperson, Felicia Amslem, has, however, described the resident’s claim as false.
She said a troop of mobile police officers were deployed to the affected villages on Friday. She also said the command has been receiving positive security reports from the personnel sent to the area
“The police command has since Friday sent in troops of policemen to the trouble areas, and they have been able to restore peace,” she said.
She added the deployed officers have not been withdrawn in spite of the relative peace being enjoyed in the area.
Plateau has witnessed several ethno-religious violence leading to the death of hundreds of people in the last couple of years.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...