Residents of the town where the attack was carried suspect that soldiers were the perpetrators.
At least three schools were burnt Sunday morning after a night of blasts and exchange of gunfire by unknown gunmen and soldiers in Biu town of Borno state, residents and security sources have said.
A source in Biu, a town 185km away from Maiduguri, confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES on phone that three private schools were attacked during the curfew hours amidst several explosions last night.
Residents who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES from Biu said they suspected the soldiers were complicit in the attack since the troubled town had been under a 5:30 pm curfew.
A source who spoke in confidence said three private schools; Godiya Primary school, Lajada Private School and Standard Private School were attacked and set alight.
“We were shocked by yesternight’s attack on the schools because the whole of Biu closes at 5:30pm to observe the curfew imposed on the town since the Wednesday robbery attack at Coca Cola mini deport that led to the death of a soldier,” the source, a local government staff, said.
“We cannot but ask the soldiers to explain to us how three schools could be burnt down during the curfew hours and none of the culprits was arrested,” the source said angrily.
A top security officer in Maiduguri who asked not to be quoted as he was not officially authorized to speak to journalists said the attack was predominantly targeted at schools.
All effort to get a statement from the military Joint Task Force keeping peace in the state proved abortive as the phone of the spokesman, Sagir Musa, remained switched off as at the time filing this report.