A 38-year-old man was on Friday evening electrocuted at Payanm, Mangu Local Government Area of Central Plateau state at about 8:30 pm, a family member said.
This victim’s niece, Loveling Nanlop, told PREMIUM TIMES on Sunday that her uncle died while “changing over” to a power generating set that had high voltage.
“He got electrocuted in the process of changing over power from PHCN to generator, when PHCN suddenly brought back light,” she said.
Ms. Nanlop said the victim died on the spot.
“The light shocked him and he died instantly. We are consoled about the fact that it happened outside the residence, the children were in the house but nothing happen to any of them. It could have been a disaster.”
There has been epileptic power supply of electricity within the area for the past few months.
Generally in the capital city of Jos, Plateau State, particularly the raining season, there have been reported cases of high voltages power supply by PHCN.
Meanwhile, most communities in the state have been experiencing epileptic power supply in spite of promises by authorities that power supply will stabilize in Nigeria before the second quarter of 2014.