The torrential role that fell on Monday caused the electrocution of a mother and her child.
A middle-aged woman, identified as Mummy Ajimo, and her son were electrocuted in Abebi area of Oke Baale in Osogbo by a cable felled by the rain on Monday.
The rain came along with violent lightning and thunder that wreaked havoc in some residential areas.
During the torrential rain, the cables of an electric pole in Abebi area fell and sent shocks through the affected buildings.
The Commissioner of Police in Osun, Dorothy Gimba, confirmed the incident, saying the Police Area Commander informed her about the event.
She said that early on Tuesday, residents, who were scared, including Ajimo, scampered for safety as many of them relocated to avoid contact with the fallen electric cables.
Although the police report identified the deceased woman as Mummy Ajimo, some eyewitnesses identified her as Simiatu Rafiu, who had attempted to escape the danger with her son.
As residents hurried out of the area, Mummy Ajimo took her son, Ajimo, to leave the area but as they made their way out, they stepped on the live electric cable and were electrocuted.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Folashade Odoro, made a report from one Ishmail Oyebode of Ile Balogun Abe Obi area of Osogbo available.
The report read: “There was an electric spark a few hours ago and people living in that area started running out for safety and one Mummy Ajimo and her son ran into the wire and died immediately.”
Meanwhile, the police said details of the report would be made available to newsmen as soon as investigation from the Area Commander’s office is completed.