The Nigerian military has retaken the town of Chibok in Borno State from the Boko Haram insurgents.
Residents of the area as well as the spokesperson of the Army in Maiduguri confirmed the takeover to PREMIUM TIMES on Sunday afternoon.
The insurgents took control of Chibok on Thursday night in what appeared a continuation of their onslaught to take over more communities in the troubled north-eastern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.
One resident, Musa Chibok, told PREMIUM TIMES on Friday that he managed to leave the town as the insurgents took charge.
It is not clear whether any resident was killed by the insurgents.
Before the insurgents took over Chibok on Thursday, the Adamawa State governor, Bala Ngilari, said local vigilante and hunters, backed by the military, reclaimed Mubi, the second most important town in Adamawa, nearly two weeks after the town fell to the insurgents.
Chibok became the centre of international attention in April after Boko Haram fighters stormed the town and took away nearly 300 female students from a government secondary school.
Majority of the girls remain in captivity more than six months after. About 57 either escaped or were released.
A recent claim by the Nigerian government that a ceasefire had been agreed with Boko Haram and that the girls will be returned to their families, turned out false.
More details later…