No evidence Boko Haram abducted 100 men in Borno

Boko Haram has become Nigeria's biggest headache of the moment

Reports of fresh mass abductions in Borno State by the extremist Boko Haram sect last week predictably jolted a world still distraught by the kidnapping of more than 200 school girls by the same terrorist group from the same state.

While the girls remain in captivity four months later, widespread news reports said between Sunday and Friday about 100 young men were abducted from Doron Baga, near Lake Chad.

Subsequent reports claimed the kidnapped men were rescued by Chadian forces.

The news stories were largely untrue, extensive investigation by PREMIUM TIMES has shown.

News of the latest kidnappings originated mainly from major international news wires- Reuters, Associated Press and Bloomberg.

They three news organizations– all based in the United States– quoted unnamed security officials, residents and local vigilante groups in Doron Baga, the scene of a deadly clash between the Nigerian military and members of the Boko Haram sect.

Reuters said “dozens” of boys and men were driven away in trucks on the night of Friday, August 15, after their captors overpowered local vigilantes who had no military support.

The Associated Press said exactly 100 people were abducted but later freed by the Chadian forces, quoting a Nigerian security official and a local self-vigilante member.

The AP said the attacks occurred Sunday, August 10, five days earlier than Reuters reported.

A member of the local vigilante in Doron Baga was quoted as saying that 20 women and about 70 young men were forced to board speed boats in Lake Chad.

Another news agency, Bloomberg, also reported that 100 people were kidnapped from the same community; but said the event happened on Thursday, a day earlier.

The captives were boys and young men not women as AP reported.

The report said 10 people died amid fears the abducted men might be forced to join and fight for Boko Haram.

The three news stories, syndicated by hundreds of news organizations around the world, apparently reported what appears the same attack on the same community — Doro Baga. But the reports cited different dates, numbers and those involved.

Reuters’ version of the event was reported by organizations including the UK Guardian, Aljazeera, Fox among many others.

Buzzfeed and others quoted Bloomberg while AP was referenced by several others including Yahoo news and Israel’s Hareetz newspaper.

All quoted local vigilante members, residents and unnamed security officials. The military was quoted as having declined comments.

As of Sunday, the Nigerian military maintains that position- refusing to confirm any report of kidnappings officially.
“The Multinational Joint Task Force is operating around the Lake Chad Basin, Doron Baga inclusive. I cannot confirm any abductions,” defence spokesperson, Chris Olukolade tweeted August 17.

PREMIUM TIMS has spoken to three soldiers- very reliable contacts – stationed in Borno State, who were involved in the fight against Boko Haram that Wednesday night in Doron Baga.

Villagers in Doron Baga also told some of our sources they were not aware men were abducted from their community.
A senior military official in Abuja also spoke to PREMIUM TIMES about the events of that night.

They all denied that people were abducted.

One soldier, who is especially critical of the Nigerian military authorities, said the clash was one of the few the military wholly defeated the insurgents.

“That night we were able to fight Boko Haram off,” said the soldier on condition of anonymity since he is not authorised to speak to the media. “They started by opening fire on us. No soldier was shot because we fought them.”

Those interviewed admitted some civilians were killed by stray bullets and many of the militants too.

The soldiers said their performance was so impressive they were rewarded by the commanding officer. “We fought them this time that our commander gave us welfare for a job well-done,” he said.

The soldiers said they were notified by Boko Haram days ahead of the attack.

In a typical display of bravado against a military that has suffered repeated losses in their hands, Boko Haram had dispatched a letter intimating the troops they would be storming Doron Baga to retrieve their wives.

“What happened was that Boko Haram sent us a letter that they are coming to pick their wives. Some of the men here left their wives to go and join Boko Haram,” one soldier said.

The insurgents arrived as scheduled, but this time the soldiers were “alert”, one source said.

“We did not even allow them deep into where civilians were,” the source said when questioned about the likelihood some civilians were taken captives.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: Revealed!!! The Only Way Left of Getting an Extra Large Manhood and also Last Up to 38Mins+. Get the Insider Secret Here


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Dan Fulani

    It would have been a cheering news if not for the mentioning of Olukolade’s name.

    • Ken

      Aboki!

    • solomon

      DAN fulani the bastard hausa man anything that is not sound haram in name is not cheerful.

      • salsa

        I love hearing the news about bigots like you getting killed suddenly. I hope I hear your death sooner than later.

        • solomon

          YOUR FATHER

  • redeem

    until the army learns to have reporters embedded with the troops-it would be hard to believe them——————-its been one lie after the other-hence the need to fire the father of all liars—–dasuki—————–a disgrace to the nation

  • mikebass

    Saharareporters lied extensively with their “molue” reportage. Thank you Premiumtimes for helping journalism in Nigeria.

  • Thank you Premium Times.

  • solomon

    How many boko haram came to abduct the 100 men or were the men tide down before the arrivals of the haram men to pick or the men just lying down waiting their brothers arrivals.

    The first abducted girls met to service the real man among the haram while the men are met for the homosexual which is good for the cowards northerners.

  • janjaweed3

    All part of the grand design . “Unnamed security sources” aka the Ijaw agenda. Minima release the girls . U are afraid to release them because they will reveal BOKO HARAM DOES NOT EXIST AS WE ARE TOLD. GEJ Has managed to use the famous statement credited to northerners” make Nigeria ungovernable ” against them.
    He is making it appear that northerners are behind all this dodgy crap , all in an attempt to declare possibly a full state of emergency in th North Bcos he simply can’t win an election.
    He is trying on all fronts
    National conference( trying to smuggle in a 6 yr tenure)
    Militarising elections
    Creating Boko haram
    Etc