NEMA confirms 9 more bodies recovered

The National Emergency Management Agency NEMA in Jos Plateau state says nine more bodies of the flood victims have been recovered.
Abdulsalam Mohammed, an official of the emergency agency said in a telephone interview Wednesday that nine more bodies have been recovered from the list of missing persons following the flood disaster of Monday.
“Within the last two days, we have recovered nine more bodies from the missing list of 24 persons we had, and that is in addition to the 35 bodies recovered earlier,” Mr. Mohammed said.
Mr. Mohammed also said NEMA had set up two Internally Displaced Persons Camps (IDPs) at Government Secondary School, Gangare, and College for Arabic and Islamic Studies, Rikkos where victims of the disaster have been kept and are being catered for by the agency.
“We set up two camps at Gangare and Rikkos and each camp has about 1400 persons there,” he said.
He also said NEMA has been able to provide food and household materials to the people at the two camps. Mr. Mohammed added that the relief materials provided so far came from the zonal office of the agency in the state, while more are being expected from the national headquarters in Abuja.
Reports reaching us from the two camps however say there may be an outbreak of cholera there as about 64 people have so far been identified as having excessive diarrhea and are receiving treatment.
The leader of the Federation of Muslim Women Association (FOMWAN), Plateau state Chapter, Tawa Abdulsalam, a Medical Laboratory scientist, informed Journalists in Jos of the development.
“So far we have recorded about 64 persons that are affected with cholera and we have begun the process of treating them,” she said.
Sources at the two camps also informed us that the state government is yet to send any form of relief materials despite the fact that the commissioner for Water Resources, Idi Waziri, led a delegation from the state government to the two camps Tuesday where they promised to offer all necessary assistance.
A source who declined to be named said “they were here and they also went to the central Mosque where they promised to provide us some relief materials but up to now there is no word from them,” he said, adding that “although I hear they have been busy with the burial programme of the two legislators that died recently, may be that is the reason, we don’t know”.
The state government had Tuesday sent a delegation comprising of the Commissioners of Water Resources, Mr. Waziri; Transport, Abdulrahman Gamzaki and the Adviser to the governor of Religious Affairs, Nasiru Goshi, who visited the two capms for an on the spot assessment and also met with the leadership of the Hausa and Muslim community at the central Mosque.
At the Meeting, Mr. Waziri promised relief materials from the state government as soon as possible.
The team met with the Chief Imam, Balarabe Daoud; the spokesperson of the Council of Ulama, Farouk Musa; and the head of rescue of the Jamatu Nasril Islam, Sabo Shuaibu, who told the gathering that his team had buried about 30 corpses as at Tuesday while more would be buried on Wednesday.
 
 


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: To place a text-based advert here. Call Willie


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.