The Nigerian Labour Congress in Kebbi state has said that despite the approach of the Islamic Ramadan fast, it will not call off its ongoing strike over the refusal of the State Government to pay the N18,000 minimum wage.
Workers in the state commenced a general strike last week over the refusal of the government to pay the minimum wage to all categories of workers.
The government proposed that workers on grade levels one to eight be paid the minimum wage, while their counterparts on grade levels nine to 15 be paid a flat increment rate of N7, 000.
Sadiq Kaoje, the Chairman of the NLC in the state, announced the position of the workers in an interview on Monday in Birnin Kebbi.
“Speculations that the strike will be suspended due to the Ramadan fasting by Muslims is incorrect,’’ he said, stating that the union would not bow to pressure by some prominent people in the state to call off the strike
“Some prominent people had approached the NLC on the need to end the strike but the workers are fighting a just cause to enhance their welfare and for the development of the state.
Mr. Kaoje said the leadership of the union had been informed of plans by government to intimidate workers to call off the strike.
But in his reaction, the state’s Head of Service, Buhari Halidu, said that government did not have funds to pay all categories of workers the minimum wage.
He insisted that workers on grade levels one to eight would be paid the new wage in full while those on grade level nine to 15 would be paid a flat increment of N7,000.
He said that payment of the minimum wage to all categories of workers would have adverse effect on the execution of projects in the state.