President-elect Bola Tinubu said Thursday that he would not disappoint Nigerians who voted for him and he would not disappoint outgoing President Muhammadu Buhari who supported his candidacy.
Mr Tinubu said this in Abuja at a ceremony where he was honoured with Nigeria’s highest honour, the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR).
“I must run this race and must do it well. On security, the economy, agriculture, jobs, education, health and power and in all other sectors we must make headway. The people deserve no less. In this, I shall disappoint neither them nor you, Mr President,” he said.
Mr Tinubu’s vice president-elect, Kashim Shettima, also received the second highest national honour of the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).
The incoming government and the outgoing government are of the same party, APC, which has governed Nigeria since 2015.
TEXT OF ADDRESS DELIVERED BY PRESIDENT-ELECT, ASIWAJU BOLA AHMED TINUBU AT HIS INVESTITURE FOR HIGHEST NATIONAL HONOUR IN ABUJA ON THURSDAY MAY 25TH, 2023
1. Thank You, Mr. President, for bestowing the nation’s highest honors on my Vice President elect Shettima and me.
2. Our deep thanks also for the transition documents and the committed work performed by the transition council headed by the SGF.
3. The documents summarize the immense work of your administration. They constitute an impressive and noteworthy scorecard.
READ ALSO: Adebanjo lashes out at Akande, says Tinubu never built house for him
4. You have made history and no one can take your contribution to our nation’s development.
5. Your devotion to progressive and democratic good governance is unassailable.
6. As such, I stand here renewed not only in hope but also in dedication to our national purpose and destiny.
7. I also feel full of pride but this pride I feel is not for myself. It is for what this moment represents.
8. This stately occasion is living evidence that Nigeria is a vibrant and true democracy. All of us here bear witness to this inspiring proceeding where one leader bestows personal honor on his successor. Also, that leader does his utmost to exchange the baton of government by ensuring that his successor is as well-prepared as possible for the task at hand.
9. This hall is permeated with a sense of reverence for our democracy and the confident belief that this reverence shall be enshrined for generations to come.
10. Today is more than ceremony. It confirms that our path is right and that nothing will deter us from adhering to it.
11. Our way shall not always be smooth. Yet we are imbued with faith in our purpose and a firm belief in our collective ability to overcome the challenges that confront us.
12. President Buhari, you have shown courage in taking tough decisions others avoided.
13. One such decision was to recognize the injustice of the annulment of the 1993 election, to designate June 12 as Democracy Day, and to bestow the nation’s highest honor on the late MKO Abiola.
14. As much as anyone could, you reached back into history to set the record straight and heal a festering wound.
15. The justice you did in this matter lends special meaning to today.
16. I am a simple man who is the beneficiary of the support and goodwill of the people of Nigeria.
17. The people have put their trust in us. You have done your part Mr. President.
18. Now, that great duty descends on me. I understand the meaning of the honor given to me today and of the task that awaits.
19. I must run this race and must do it well. On security, the economy, agriculture, jobs, education, health and power and in all other sectors we must make headway. The people deserve no less. In this, I shall disappoint neither them nor you, Mr. President.
Thank You and May God Bless our beloved republic.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.Donate
TEXT AD: Call Willie - +2348098788999