NYSC directs corps members to resume in troubled states

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) on Monday directed 2012 Batch ‘B’ youth corps members to immediately proceed to their orientation camps, including those in violence besieged states, claiming that adequate arrangements have been made for their safety.

A statement signed by the Director (Corps Mobilisation), Mary Kolajo, and pasted at the NYSC Headquarters in Abuja, urged whosoever wanted a re-posting to do so while in camp.  It stated that the cases would expeditiously be treated by state coordinators.

The NYSC headquarters was besieged by at least 400 of the new corps members on Monday, who were there to complain of their postings.

Femi Adegbite, a youth corps member posted to Maiduguri, said he might not go as he is unsure of his safety.

“Last year, many youth corps members were killed in these troubled states including Borno and nothing happened. How do you expect me to go to Maiduguri?’’ he said.

Another corps member, Ireti Labati, posted to Yobe, said she would not go if her posting was not changed.

Albert Francis, who graduated from University of Ibadan and was posted to Sokoto State said, “I know that Sokoto is free from the crisis but you cannot predict what will happen later”.

NYSC Deputy Director in charge of Publicity, Peter Atilola, said that the affected youth corps members should report at their respective orientation camps first, adding that states had given the assurances that there is adequate security.

“The military, the police and Nigeria Civil Defence Corps have all assured us of security of corps members, so there is no cause for alarm,’’ he said.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:"Warning to Men, These 3 Foods is Slowly Killing Your Erection". Click Here to Know Them


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Ibrahim Dauda

    Please anybody who is considering allowing his relation to go the north must first of all conduct a betting funeral ceremony before he/she embarks on the suicide mission: For sure you will not see his corpse aagain what more of coming back to alive.

    • One

      It is really idiotic and absurd for corp members to be posted to the North.Can any minister allow their son/daughter to be posted to the trouble spots.

      PLEASE NO CORP MEMBER SHOULD ACCEPT POSTING TO THE TROUBLE SPOTS.IF ARMY/POLICE CANNOT PROTECT THEIR BASE,HOW CAN THEY ON EARTH PROTECT CORP MEMBERS.

  • Bonifacejoe

    This is the authorities unconcern for human lives.you see a blazing fire and you want our youths to go there and roast themselves alive. This is putting them in another Dana flight.America and Uk will not allow their citizens travel to axis of danger, be it southeast,niger delter, and now the far north, why expose our budding youths to such dangers.If the north is not isolated, they will not feel the impact of what is happening there now.Corps, members do not rush yourselves to untimely dearth .How soon will we recover from the slaughter of our two professors?

  • Shallomnoel

    this man are real destiny killer, the solders are finding it tasking in finding security for them self not talk less of coppers, that have no place in the so called country agenda cause if you die as a copper you die for noting better think twice we are talking about suicide bombers, think clear and run for your dear life